Turmeric and High Blood Pressure
Turmeric is something that many people are excited about nowadays and there are so many reasons why. Besides simply tasting good, it’s also a substance that can help you when it comes to high blood pressure.
In fact, there are a lot of studies you can find regarding turmeric and high blood pressure that tells you not only how this bright spice can help treat it, but how it can also help prevent it.
High Blood Pressure Explained
You may not be familiar with what high blood pressure actually is, even though you’ve likely heard of people suffering from it. Essentially, it is when your heart is unable to pump your blood efficiently through your blood vessels, meaning it has to work too hard to work the blood through your body.
Pretty much anyone can have high blood pressure, but there are also risk factors that make it more likely. For example, if you are obese, you have a poor diet, or it runs in your family, you’re more likely to develop hypertension, which is another name for high blood pressure.
When you suffer from this, you will likely have to be placed on prescription medications, and limit certain foods in your diet. You may also have some side effects or related ailments at times. For example, some people that suffer from this condition may get headaches, have shortness of breath, or even experience dizziness.
How Turmeric Helps
While turmeric won’t give you perfect blood pressure, it can help alleviate some of these symptoms and assist you in getting healthier. Here’s a look at all the ways it’s able to do that.
- Can regulate blood pressure: There is some evidence to support that the active ingredient in turmeric will keep blood vessels from constricting. This in turn will allow for the blood vessels to relax instead of tense up, meaning the blood will have a better chance of flowing freely through the body, no matter what the condition of your arteries are. This will also lower your blood pressure since your veins aren’t fighting with your heart.
- Helps with inflammation: Since the turmeric help the blood vessels relax, this is also able to help with inflammation. This is a fancy way of saying that it can reduce swelling in the area, which might also alleviate pain in that area.
- May help clean out arteries: This supplement is thought to be able to help you clean out your arteries too. Since your vessels won’t be constricting, the plaque will not be getting as compressed throughout your body. This can possibly lead to a healthier heart overall with clearer arteries.
- Helps with other ailments: Other ailments can be alleviated with turmeric as well. Sometimes there are diseases that cause high blood pressure and you might not be aware that the two things are related. Then after your arteries start to relax, you might end up feeling a lot better and be free from symptoms that were weighing you down.
- May aid in weight loss: Finally, it may be able to help you lose weight. You can take it as a supplement or put it into different recipes, any way you can to get it in your diet. In some people, it may cause a slight stomach irritation at first, but then it will be fine. Its healthy properties should be able to stimulate your intestines, allowing you to process your food more efficiently. This can help you lose weight. As a bonus, since you’re cooking for yourself, you’ll likely also be eating fewer calories, which can also help you lose weight. When you lose just a few pounds, it sometimes lowers the chance that you’ll have high blood pressure, so this can be something that is not only good for your health, but will make you feel better about yourself.
Other Things to Know
There are a few other things that are important to know regarding turmeric and high blood pressure. You should always be aware that turmeric is not a substitute for medical treatment, especially if you have high blood pressure already that is controlled with a prescription.
You can’t stop taking your medicine abruptly, since it will possibly cause you to have even worse side effects. The spice may also interact negatively with your medicine, so you’ll need to check with your doctor to see if it is safe for you to take it or not.
If you are not on any pills, you have a better chance of reversing the effects of high blood pressure, since you won’t have any other substances in your body that is competing with the spice. Just be sure to do some research to find out how much you should take a day, or find dishes to make that will incorporate the seasoning.
If you opt for finding capsules to take, you’ll want to be sure that you can locate the best ones you can, since all of them are not the same quality. You want to make sure you are getting turmeric that has the best medicinal properties, for best results.
Don’t be discouraged if you don’t feel like the turmeric is working right away, as it may take a few months for it to be effective.
Keep taking it or eating it and one day you might notice a difference that seems like it happened overnight. This is because the turmeric is likely working on a build-up and you have enough in your system for it to do its job.
There is a lot of information that links turmeric and high blood pressure in the regard that the yellow spice is able to help alleviate some of the side effects and problems people may suffer from when they have high blood pressure.
It may also be able to sort out the problem itself by relaxing the blood vessels enough for them to regulate their own pressure. Additionally, it’s easy to incorporate into your diet and it works rather quickly.