Turmeric’s Skin Benefits
Turmeric is a very flexible herb as it can be used for a variety of purposes aside from dishes and coloring. It has a variety of benefits, especially in skincare. Here are some of the most notable benefits of turmeric for one’s skin:
- Anti-Acne and Treatment – Turmeric is actually a perfect antiseptic and antibacterial agent which is perfect in fighting bacteria that triggers pimples and breakouts. The most effective way of utilizing turmeric for anti-acne treatments is by making a face pack or face mask with it. Utilizing it as a mask covers all the affected areas, clears the scars and reduces inflammation and even reduces oil secretion which usually triggers breakouts.
- Anti-Aging – If used as a paste or powder and applied to the skin, turmeric can exfoliate the skin and revive its glow. In some Indian sects, turmeric paste is used by grooms and brides to improve their skin on the day of their wedding. It is ideal to use turmeric body packs before bathing and it should be used in the body to get into areas where signs of aging are found.
- Facial Hair Control – For women, growing facial hair is a problem since it greatly influences their looks. If one does not wish to shave, they can use turmeric for a certain period of time and they will notice slowed facial hair growth. Turmeric also has the capacity of removing facial hair after continuous use for a month.
- Skin Moisture and Elasticity Improvement – Aside from exfoliating the skin and serving as an antiseptic/antibacterial agent, it also has the capacity to act as an antioxidant. It brings moisture to the face and skin. It also ensures that skin cells continue to grow and retain its elasticity to prevent the onset of wrinkles.
- Reduce skin discoloration and even out skin tone – Turmeric has the capacity to lighten up one’s skin should it be discolored and uneven in anyway. Because of its active components, turmeric has always been used as a main ingredient to many natural skin care brands promising fairer skin.
- Anti-Itchy Scalp and Hair Loss – If you are suffering from itchy scalp and dandruff, turmeric can reintroduce moisture in the scalp and reduce itchiness caused by bacteria. It is also capable of stopping hair loss.
- Anti-Scalp Conditions – Aside from dandruff and itchy scalp, turmeric can assist in curing other scalp conditions such as dermatitis, cicatrical alopecia (inflammation of the scalp) and fungal infections that can trigger hair loss. Turmeric’s component curcumin can treat these problems due to its anti-fungal, antioxidant, anti-bacterial and anti-inflammatory qualities.
- Reduce Stretch Marks – For those who have given birth or lost weight, turmeric is a best friend because it can reduce stretch marks by lightening it. Combining turmeric with besan and yogurt/milk/rose water can create a cream that can help lighten the marks and ensure that it evens out the skin tone in the area. It is ideal that the pack/cream is applied daily and left alone until it fully dries.
- Cures Cracked Heels – if you tend to leave out your foot in your usual body regimen or have it exposed without proper protection, you may find yourself with cracked heels. With the help of turmeric, it will be able to moisturize the feet. Combine turmeric powder with either castor or coconut oil and place it on the cracked areas. If you do this regularly, you will be able to notice that the heels are now softer.
- Anti-burns – Turmeric can actually be used as a first-aid for burns due to its antiseptic ability, especially when combined with other herbs used to treat burns. Combining turmeric and aloe vera gel and placing it on a burn accelerates the skin’s healing properties.
- Night cream – Want a fast and natural moisturizer, combine turmeric with milk or yogurt to make a night cream paste and make a mask for an overnight treatment. Once you rinse it off with a cleanser. Using a bit of turmeric with your moisturizer can also revitalize the face as it assists skin repair.
- Treating Skin Complications – as a natural antiseptic, turmeric can assist helping users with skin complications like allergies and psoriasis. Eczema can also be remedied by turmeric and reduce itchiness caused by the disease and also reduce inflammation.
- Removing dead skin cells – Since turmeric exfoliates the skin, it can also remove dead skin from the body and face. Combine turmeric with flour or milk and dab it on the body or face and use it as a scrub regularly.