Even if you have never tried turmeric before, you have probably heard of it. It is a widely used spice, especially in India, although it’s quite popular in many dishes that are available worldwide as well.
However, it isn’t just something delicious to flavor your food with, since it can also help you with so many ailments and conditions your body might suffer from. Here is a list of some of the most exciting turmeric benefits that you should be aware of.
Ways Turmeric Can Aid Your Body
Here are a few of the ways this inexpensive spice can help you.
- It’s a powerful anti-inflammatory. Inflammation is a sign that your body gives you to let you know something may be wrong. It often comes in the form of redness, swelling, and pain. Turmeric is able to block inflammation, so that your body will be able to heal better and you won’t be suffering while it does. It accomplishes this by disrupting certain molecules’ ability to cause you pain or other problems.
- It is full of anti-oxidants. Anti-oxidants are essentially particles that are able to keep harmful substances from damaging your body. These harmful substances are known as free radicals that are sometimes floating freely in the air. Many of these may be cancer causing. Turmeric can block these, which protects your health and immune system.
- Can lower blood pressure. Due to its anti-inflammatory properties, it’s also able to lower your blood pressure. It does this by allowing blood vessels to relax, which in turn means your heart won’t have to do extra work to make sure you’re getting the blood you need. Moreover, this could lower the chance of contracting other heart diseases, since your heart will be working more efficiently.
- Good for your memory. This supplement also promotes memory, due to the fact that it can cross your blood brain barrier. This means that it can get into the blood vessels in your brain and make sure that the pathways are working properly and are relaxed. There are not a lot of substances that are able to be absorbed through this barrier. At the same time, it can help clear out some of the problems in the brain associated with Alzheimer’s disease, so it is even able to help a brain that isn’t performing at its best.
- Promotes healing. If you have a stubborn wound or a cut that you want to heal quickly, you can actually put turmeric powder on it. It will heal quickly because it promotes growth of the collagen in the skin, among other things. It is also antibacterial, so it has the ability to kill any germs or microbes that were affecting your wound and hindering its healing.
- Protects against ulcers. It is thought that it will protect the stomach from acidic foods, so it’s able to not only prevent an ulcer, but can also keep you from having stomach acid problems, like heartburn and things like that, especially when you’re following a healthy diet. This will also allow you to digest better, which can in turn assist you in losing weight.
- Can help stabilize mood. Another interesting aspect is that it can keep your moods normal. This means you are unlikely to get as anxious and depressed as you were, and you won’t have terrible mood swings. There are no solid facts on how exactly turmeric accomplishes this, but perhaps it is because of all the ways it can help your brain that allows it to help with your mood.
How it Can be Taken
Now that you have heard how powerful this substance is, you’ll need to know the proper way to intake it. There are a few ways to utilize it: you can purchase a supplement, add it into your diet, and in some cases, it will need to be applied topically.
No matter what you’re using it for, you’ll need to find high quality turmeric to get the most out of it, especially if you plan on taking a supplement, since you want to get the best variety you can find. Then you can be sure it’ll have all the properties you need it to have.
Everyone is different, so there’s no way to know for sure how your body will tolerate it or how long it will take for you to find relief. At the same time, even if you can’t tell, there’s a good chance that the turmeric benefits are working in your system. Perhaps you just haven’t noticed it yet.
There are scientific studies that show that it works better than some of the most popular medications for common ailments, which is a big deal, since this is a substance that is not only all natural, but also easy to find and purchase.
The best thing about using turmeric is that any amount that you get in your diet can help with all of these things. Even if you simply eat a dish with turmeric a few times a week it has the potential to change your health.
Alternatively, you should check with your doctor before trying a supplement if you are taking multiple prescriptions, since some interact with turmeric or can cause reactions that are unpleasant. For the most part, you shouldn’t experience any side effects from the spice, especially when taken at the proper dosage.
There are so many ways that turmeric benefits the body, aiding in things that are benign, like mood changes, to extreme, like inflammation and high blood pressure. It is a powerful substance that can do a lot of good for virtually anyone, young or old.
It’s also simple to take and can be added to your diet in a variety of different ways, so you have a lot of options when it comes to dosage. Additionally, it’s a very safe substance to take, especially if you aren’t on any medication, and you can start seeing effects within just a few weeks.